Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Gaspe Party

As I gear up to head to Gaspe this Wednesday for a few weeks, I thought I'd share with the readers a great tune written by Neil MacKay, a fiddler from Saint-Urbain-Premier, Quebec in the Chateauguay Valley.

Neil played for Gaspé parties in the Montreal for many years and was featured in the audio documentary I produced for the StoryNet project. One of the great things about spending so much time working on this project was that I had the chance to listen closely and repetitively to a bunch of great music. This tune was one of the pieces featured in the documentary. I'm really touched by all the people (over 218 at the time of this writing) who have listened to the documentary and left positive feedback since it was released last week. Knowing how much this music means to the Gaspesian community is a constant reminder of why I love doing this kind of work.

Anyhow, as I'm looking forward to quite a few Gaspé parties in the kitchens around Douglastown in the next few weeks, this tune, called "The Gaspe Party," only seemed appropriate.



1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am so excited to find your blog! I am currently in the Maritimes and am traveling to the Gaspe in the next few days looking for fiddlers! I play American old-time fiddle and would be really excited to meet you or any fiddlers you think I could hear play there. Do you have any suggestions for places to go or people to see?
    Thank you!
    ktmilady@hotmail.com
    Katie

    ReplyDelete